Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Energy of Prayer

How to Deepen your Spiritual Practice
Author: Thich Nhat Hanh
Subject: buddhism
My rating: 4*


About the book:
Written by a Zen master now living in France, this is a small gem about how we use prayer. The preface is offered by Dr. Larry Dossey, who is well known for his work on integrating prayer in medicine. What I liked about this book is that it offers a great comparison between buddhism and christianity, and shows us the amazing similarities between them. For example, the author is actually taking The Lord's Prayer line by line and draws a parallel to buddhism teachings. This book made me reconsider the way I pray, and the way I look at the 'higher power', 'God' or 'Buddha'. Whatever your religion, this little book will open your eyes to the possibilities of praying and how much this can deepen your spiritual practice. It really is all energy.

From the book:
"Gathas for daily activities: Waking Up
Waking up this morning, I smile.
Twenty-four brand new hours are before me.
I vow to live fully in each moment
and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion.


Washing hands:
Water flows over these hands.
May I use them skillfully
to preserve our precious planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment