Sunday, July 17, 2011

Something for the Pain

One Doctor's Account of Life and Death in the ER
Author: Paul Austin
Subject: medicine
My rating: 4*
Author's website: click here


About the book:
A collection of short stories happening in the ER unit of an American town. The author is confronted daily with a variety of patients, peers, his family and his deepest fears and uncertainties. It's an enjoyable book, although at times I found the doctor's family stories taking over the book. Also, the doctor's wife seems to have little understanding about her husband's shift work and his challenge of catching up with sleep. I found this a bit paradoxical, especially that she is a nurse (?). All in all, the book gives an accurate image of what it means to work in ER, and how not everything is as glamorous as it is portrayed in popular TV series...

From the book:
"I don't make life and death decisions. I make medical decisions. I work as carefully as I can, but it's not up to me who lives and who dies. That's God's department".

No comments:

Post a Comment