Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Shall Not Hate


A Gaza Doctor's Journey On The Road To Peace and Human Dignity
Author: Izzeldin Abuelaish
Subject: humanitarian
My rating: 5*
Author's Foundation: click here



About the book
What an inspiring and emotional story of this man who lost his 3 daughters in a Gaza attack on his Palestinian home! I have started reading this book not knowing much about the long term conflict in the Gaza strip, and I am glad I did so with a beginner's mind; Dr. Abuelaish' recount and amazingly neutral position in this history of conflict only helped me look at this sad and long overdue political argument through his eyes, free of preconceived ideas, stereotyping and generalizations. As a health care professional, I agree with his view on seeing medicine as a link between people, a bridge that can unite us all. Although his loss is inconceivably sad and unnecessary, it brought to life a book that should be read by anyone. This book reminds us all that truth is always in the middle, and that humanity is about what we all have in common, and not what sets us apart. A brilliant lesson in how to live and love despite all challenges.

From the book:
"...violence is futile. It is a waste of time, lives, and resources, and has been proven only to beget more violence. It does not work. It just perpetuates a vicious cycle".

No comments:

Post a Comment